Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday, Jacob Michael

I officially have a four year old and a three year old... Jacob turned three yesterday.  It was a great day of celebrating, remembering that day and rejoicing the Lord for blessing us so much.  I remember the day I found out I was pregnant with Jacob... it was June 2007.  We were in Virginia Beach visiting my older brother, Matt, his wife, Sarah and their two little girls.  The day before leaving to drive up there I just had this nagging feeling to go buy a pregnancy test at the store and take it with me.  At that point I hadn't missed a period or anything, Chase was only 6 months old (barely!) but something inside of me told me to go ahead and get one.  I packed it in our suitcase and didn't tell Charles I had even gotten one.  He would have thought I was insane to think there was even a possibility I was pregnant.  Again, Chase was only 6 months old and I was nursing.  The morning after we arrived I was awake very early ... Chase was going through a phase where he would wake up super early (like 5:00 early) and be ready for the day.  I went up and got him very quickly because I didn't want him waking up the entire house and brought him down to sit with Charles for a minute.  I took that opportunity to take the test and it turned positive before I even had a chance to blink.  I sat there for a minute, in the bathroom, listening to my 6 month old squeal in the other room.  I cried... tears mainly of joy and of feeling so blessed.  I walked out of the bathroom and as soon as Charles saw my face he knew something was going on.  He asked me what was wrong... I told him nothing was wrong but that I had just taken a pregnancy test.  He didn't even have to ask... he knew.  There he was, sitting with his 6 month old BABY on his lap and he just found out there was another baby on the way!  I cried some more... happy, scared, worried that Chase would have to grow up so quickly.  At that point my older brother was downstairs and started to hear what we were talking about... he walked in the room and he was the first one to hear the news.  In true Matt style he asked "Is this a good thing or a bad thing?!"  Our response was that of course it was a good thing but the reality had still not set in yet completely.  My sister-in-law didn't even have to hear the words... she heard some noise and immediately ran out of her room, looked over the balcony and said "You're pregnant, aren't you?!!"  What a crazy morning that was... finding out we were pregnant, being with my brother and his family.  But when I think back to that morning, I don't think about my feelings of being scared or unsure about having two so close in age.  I think about the joy and excitement that I felt knowing the Lord had given us another blessing. 
Three years ago, on March 13th, at 11:30 in the morning we welcomed our second son into the world.  Jacob Michael joined this family and from the very beginning was the perfect fit.  He was a very laid back baby and still is very laid back.  Not a whole lot phases him.  He is sensitive, caring, loving and loves to snuggle.  He has always been so happy, he loves to smile and loves to make everyone around him smile.  He can be silly, he can be shy.  He loves to learn new things and lives to help Daddy with whatever he is doing.  He has taken his role as a big brother very seriously and loves to hold Luke and make him happy.  He is a good helper, he is content with what he has.  Sometimes he lives to see how much he can push his big brother's buttons but looks up to Chase so much and wants to do everything just like him!  He is an observer and in new situations likes to take things in for a few minutes before jumping in.  He has always been a good eater... he eats just about anything you put in front of him.  I think his favorite things are Grandma's carrots, macaroni and cheese (any kind - box or crock pot), fruit of any kind and chicken.  He loves playing outside... give him a shovel and bucket and he'll be happy for hours!!  He is very different from Chase in that he doesn't care how dirty he gets... he loves it!  Same goes with eating... he loves to see how much he can get into his mouth without choking.  I love how different he is from his big brother!
I could not imagine life without my Jacob... I love how sensitive he is.  
I love those big, beautiful eyes.
I love his laugh.  
I love kissing those cheeks.
I love hearing him talk and all the funny things he says.  
I love that he's my thumb sucker (might be an orthodontist's nightmare but it's so sweet!).
I love his desire to please and his love for Jesus.
I love how much he is learning.
I love how happy he has always been!!
I love how much he adores his big brother and wants to do things just like him!
I love listening to his nighttime prayers that can sometimes last for 5 minutes.
I love how silly he can be and the things he comes up with.
I love how thankful he is.  Even if it's just a cup of milk he's just so thankful for it!! :)
I love how much he loves his baby brother and how much he wants to help out.
I love he sweet nature.
I love his smile.
I love the three years we've had with this boy and look forward to all the fun times we'll have this year!
Thank you, Jesus, for giving us this unexpected gift.  For blessing us with our second son just 14 months after becoming parents for the first time.  Thank you, Jesus, for the joy that he brings to our days and for loving him more than we can.  We pray that he will continue to learn about you and ask you to be his Savior at an early age.  We will never stop praying for wisdom as parents, for knowledge in raising them to love you.  We will always work hard every day to be the example that we need to be for him.  Lord, use me as his Mom to show him what a Godly woman looks like and what kind of wife he wants to look for one day.  We pray that he will learn from his Daddy what it means to be a leader, a strong man who desires to know You on a deep level, a role model for those around him.  We pray that you would use Jacob throughout his life in a way that will impact your Kingdom for all eternity!!!

2 comments:

  1. So sweet Katie! I love reading about how you found out you were pregnant! Jacob is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet recount of Jacob's story! He does have beautiful eyes =) Happy Birthday Jacob!

    ReplyDelete