Thursday, March 25, 2010

True Meaning of Easter

     There have been many, many things that I have realized since becoming a parent.  I took my mom and dad for granted growing up, never really bucking the system or fighting them on rules, but also never really understanding the importance of some of the things they did with us growing up.  We always had family devotions together every morning before school.  Whether we liked it or not, we were to set our own alarm clocks, get up and get ready for school, and be downstairs at 7:00.  We would all get our own breakfast, sit down at the table and eat as a family, and then my dad always did devotions with us.  During the time leading up to Christmas morning we would learn a particular song each year as a family and sing it every night after dinner.  We would memorize verses in the Bible and recite them together... verses that to this day I can still recite from memory.  We would focus on the story of Christmas and do our advent calendar together as our morning devotions.  Our focus was always on the true meaning of Christmas rather than writing Santa a letter or making our own lists of what we wanted that year.  Same went with Easter... the true meaning of what happened so long ago, the death and resurrection of our Savior, were the focus.  We prayed and read scripture as a family.  Every event that we went through, whether it was good or bad, resulted in a conversation that revolved around our faith and our Lord.  Growing up, I never disliked any of these things and I know I am who I am today mostly because of them and what they did with us growing up, but I took it all for granted, thinking those were all things that many families did.
     Now as a parent myself, I am realizing that the deepest desires of my heart when it comes to my children are all stemming from what my parents did with me.  This past Christmas Chase really wanted to know the story behind what we were getting ready to celebrate.  It came naturally to me to start memorizing verses with him.  I was amazed at how quickly a two year old could memorize two verses out of the Bible.  He was a sponge, wanting not just to hear the story of our Savior's birth but truly understand it.  Now that Easter is quickly approaching, we have been focusing on the stories in Chase's Bible that focus on the events leading up to Easter.  Easter seems to be a little more difficult to explain on a 3 year old's level, with more events happening, but he is really starting to understand.  Today I was able to stop by the Christian book store and I found a cute little book that went through the true meaning of Easter.  Chase was so excited when I showed it to him.  A little later we were in the car and we were talking about why Jesus died on the cross.  I explained to him that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, that on the third day he rose from the dead and that now He lives in Heaven with His father. I told him that because Jesus died on the cross, His blood covers all of our sins (all of our bad choices) and that when we become of his children we ask Jesus to come live in our hearts and forgive our sins.  Then one day we'll also go to Heaven and live with Jesus.  Chase sat there quietly for a few seconds and I could tell he was processing what I just told him.  He looked up at me and said, "Mommy, I want to live in Heaven."  I told Chase that his Daddy and I pray every day for the moment that he will ask Jesus to come live in his heart and we pray that from that point on he will live his life for Him, walking with him every day, reading his Word, and never taking for granted what God did so long ago in sending His son to this earth, to live a perfect life, be crucified, rise from the dead, and live in Heaven forever.  Before the conversation was over I started to tell him of all the people he knows who will go to Heaven one day... his Nana & Pop-Pop, his Ginga & Jupe, his Mommy & Daddy, all of his aunts and uncles (Matt and Sarah, Becky and Jason, Danny and Ashley, Brian and Brook, and Anna) and I started to tear up realizing just how blessed we are to have so many in our family who not only love the Lord, but pray daily for my children.  I was overwhelmed with God's love for us and how incredibly blessed we are. 
     More and more I am realizing how much my parents did for me by focusing on what is really important and instilling in me the desire to know Him and and keep my focus on Him regardless of what is going on, whether it is the busyness of the holidays or the excitement of Easter egg hunts.  I hope that as our children get older, our focus can remain on what is really important, instead of getting wrapped up in gifts, baskets, and candy. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this Katie! You were so blessed. I too had a family that focused on our Faith and Lord, and I also recently realized what a blessing that was! How awesome that Chase is so wanting to learn about his Savior! How sweet! That's a neat conversation to have!

    ReplyDelete