Thursday, January 21, 2010

Taking the dive...

Well, here we are!  I've debated over the last 3 or so years whether to start our own blog or not and finally, with the encouragement of some great friends, we decided to try it out.  I don't feel like we have anything particularly interesting to share on a daily basis, but with how busy we are with the boys (and soon to add one more to the mix in August) I felt that this was in the very least a good way to document things that happen around our house... the serious, funny, hard, silly, good and bad.  As I sit here this morning, I am so thankful for how much the Lord has blessed me.  I could not ask for a better husband or more precious children.  My boys are the most loving little boys I have ever been around... they love to laugh, play, and give lots of hugs and kisses.  They both are so excited about having a baby in the house around August, although I don't really think Jacob understands fully what this means.  In the next few months, our baby, Jacob, will learn to sleep in a big boy bed, hopefully get potty trained, and move into the room with his big brother.  We're hoping to move them together sometime around the beginning of June so that they have the summer to work out all the issues that come with sleeping together (interrupted sleep, etc.).  Chase is so excited about helping out with the baby... he asks me at least once a day if the baby is ready to come out yet.  I laugh and tell him that it is still going to be a while!  He talks about helping with diapers and getting a bottle for the baby (which won't happen too often since I will be nursing)!  Chase was only 14 months old when Jacob was born so I'm excited to see how different it will be this go around seeing that Chase will be almost 4 and Jacob will be 2 and 1/2.  The boys are going through a little bit of a rough stage together right now... they live to see who can irritate the other more and it's driving Mama a little bit crazy! :)  I seriously feel like I should be wearing stripes and a whistle.  We're trying to teach Chase the right way to talk to his brother and we're trying to teach Jacob not to mess with Chase when he's in the middle of something.  I know it is only a matter of time before they play nicely together for the majority of the time, although I do know arguments will come in here and there.  I am also making a huge effort to remember that these days are going to come and go so quickly and before I know it they will be in school and there will be no more laughs, cries, arguments, and playtime like there is right now.  That keeps me focused on today... to appreciate every stage they go through, whether good or bad, hard or easy.  These children are blessings and gifts from God.  We take the responsibility seriously and we know that our job is to love, teach, mold, and direct their minds, eyes, ears, and hearts towards our Heavenly Father!

This picture was taken on Christmas Eve but when I look at this picture I am reminded of how much they really do love each other!

6 comments:

  1. Love the new blog!! Cute background and I love the top picture of the boys!! Happy blogging:) I don't know if I'll be much help because it takes me hours to figure out a new thing on the blog! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for the Smoak blog! Love the pictures and the background - can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog, Katie...I can just imagine all the spare time you have to write, especially come August!!! Dad and I will love reading it and seeing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you blogging!! Your boys are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the blog world! Your boys are so cute and I can't wait to read all about life as a family of 4 becoming 5!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Blog Katie! I was looking at how many days you have till your baby comes! I thought, hmm, thats about the time my birthday rolls around! I miss you guys!
    <3
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete